Themes & Core Questions:
- How do people define citizenship or nationality in the times
of government crisis? To what degree does political
instability affect the common person?
- What are the economic impacts (both positive and negative)
of domestic conflict or civil war on the average citizen?
What are some of the survival strategies used to deal
with these impacts?
- How do the five themes of geography (location, place, human
& environmental interaction, movement, and region
formation) shape the decisions made by citizens during
conflict or civil war?
- How do conflicts or civil wars affect religious institutions
and the religious beliefs of the average man or woman?
- What is the history of power sharing between ethnic groups
or social classes in the country affected by conflict
or civil war? How do values and attitudes toward ethnicity,
social class, and nationality change during civil war?
What factors have an effect on these changes?
Overview: The lessons for the Lebanon case include
select journal entries of a leather tannery owner,
Daud Khouri, from southern Lebanon, whose sons become
deeply involved in the 1975 Lebanese civil war and
the establishment of the Lebanese Front.
Time Required: 2 class periods or 90 minutes.
Suggested Grade Levels: Grades 8 - 12
Interdisciplinary Applications: Social Studies and Literature
NJ Core Content Standards: 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 6.5, 6.7, 6.8
- Explain how civil war impacts the common person.
- Analyze the effects of conflict on identity using PEERS.
- Synthesize the understanding of the impact of civil
war or conflict on the common person by developing empathy
for the various decisions they have to make.
- Assign reading for preparatory homework.
- Begin lesson by explaining activities.
- Students will view Power Point presentation on Lebanese Conflict.
Discussion based on Power Point presentation.
- Assign Vocabulary for homework.
- Review Vocabulary
- Students should complete critical thinking questions as class.
- (Optional) Map activity:
Students view map of Lebanon from Power Point presentation.
Discuss conflict over land based on religious divisions.
Students complete the Map Activity worksheet
Critical thinking worksheet