Why is it important for our students to have an understanding
and appreciation of religion and spirituality?
has been, and continues to be part of a common human
experience. Groups of people create religions to help
explain the unexplainable and give meaning to life.
The belief and value systems provided by religion have
been used to connect the people within communities.
People often use religion to influence the web of meaning
and strategies created to manage their lives. Beyond
the community, religions also influence relationships
between societies. Belief systems can bring people
together for peaceful pursuits or be used as an excuse
to bring violence on one another. Religion can create
love and, although unintentionally, animosity. Differences
between people are often created by religion, where
understanding and appreciating these differences will
allow people and communities to become respectful and
tolerant. For the global community to go forward, we
must have a greater understanding of the beliefs and
values of the diverse religions of our world.
The goal of this module is to help the students:
- Understand different religious practices and why they exist.
- Appreciate why societies and culture are different
through religious beliefs.
- Understand the role religion has played on the development
of the world.
- Be aware of stereotypes, discrimination and persecution
of people who share different religious beliefs.
- Become a more global citizen by understanding the
impact of religion on the world.
Religions to be addressed
- Native American Beliefs
Counter Belief Systems:
- Why do people follow religions?
- Is religion about blocking or creating change?
- Why are some groups persecuted while others are not?
- How do belief systems affect the actions of the individual?